Friday, July 25, 2008

Most Bank Websites Do Not Protect You from Identity Theft

Don't you love the convenience of banking on the Web? I know I do. And when I signed up, my bank's manager was raving about how secure it was. However, a recent study at the University of Michigan made me more than a little concerned.

According to the study, more than three quarters of all bank Websites have design flaws that can expose users to identity theft. Some of the flaws include login boxes or security and contact information placed on insecure pages, allowing insecure IDs and passwords, and emailing sensitive information insecurely as well as others.

Some of the issues have been addressed since their discovery, but there is still a lot of work to be done. The problems become an issue only if you are logging in from an insecure network. So one major way to protect yourself from identity theft is to log in only from your home computer with a secure cable or DSL connection, not at a coffee shop with an open wireless connection.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have never felt complete respect and trust to bank Websites. Although they assure that all the information is kept private, you never know what can happen. Such experiences as have been mentioned prove my words.