Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Identity Theft Blog: An Introduction

I'm not a big fan of introductions, but I might as well start somewhere. While we may not know one another, the fact that you are reading this tells me we have some common ground. Primarily, you are concerned about the spread of identity theft and would like to protect your personal information from being sold, shared or otherwise spread to those who wish to use it dishonestly. As a security-minded individual myself, I share those concerns with you.

As a victim of identity theft, I have spent hours doing my part to fix what was broken, and try to prevent it from happening again. But it may not be over yet. I didn't lose enough money for the police or bank to investigate, so my thief is still out there. While he's probably moved on to my next victim by now, that doesn't exactly give me peace of mind. More needs to be done to encourage individuals, families, and businesses to adopt secure practices, especially when it comes to personal information and the information of their customers. Most of us are aware of the threat of identity theft but think, “It won't happen to me. After all, I'm careful...” I thought I was careful... How careful are you?

Hence, this blog. Since my experience, I've spent many hours researching identity theft as well as prevention and recovery methods. My goal is to share what I've learned as well as keeping you up to speed on the latest that identity theft news. That way you will not only be armed with the knowledge you need to protect yourself, your family and your business, but you will also know if a major bank or company you do business with has had an information leak. After all, if my bank's records have been compromised, I want to know about it.

I'll continue to add resources to my links section to lead you to resources on the web that will help arm you against identity thieves. If have any questions or recommendations or anything else you may want to add, feel free to comment. I welcome a discussion.

No comments: